Above: “computer brains” and “machine learning” doesn’t exist. And probably never will.
Dear readers and customers,
the professional field of IT is a foggy sector sometimes. You will encounter more buzzwords than anywhere else throughout your career, most of them will loose their meaning entirely during the same timeframe, and what’s even more worse: you leave humans in anger and fear more times than it can be healthy for both sides, clients as well as customers. We need to actively change that for the better.
As such, and seeing it from a linguistic perspective too, renaming terminology is the way to go. And we fully support the idea provided by the Center on Privacy and Technology: reducing actively, or even eliminating where possible, the damage caused by digital technology.
One of the most popular and best examples: artificial intelligence. Today, 2022, even the most sophisticated supercomputers only provide the intelligence of a cockroach. Or more realistically: a network of cockroaches. As such, the center recommends eliminating this terminology completely. We fully support that one as well as the other mentioned buzzwords computers aren’t capable of: which is “thinking”. “Judging”. “Predicting”. “Interpreting”. “Decision making”. “Realising”. “Learning”. Humans and animals may be capable of all that. But no computer on this Earth, and possibly for many decades to come. Period.
If you encounter these associations somewhere, online or offline, be aware that you might be a victim of a creative marketing department. Nothing more, nothing less. “Artificial intelligence” doesn’t exist, not in the sense of the programmer Alan Turing, who invented the concept of turing completeness. Even more so as mentioned in the valuable and much more creative novels by authors of science fiction literature, who might be able to describe sentient artificial beings, maybe even their hypothetical behaviour. However it stays a fiction in any case, no matter how great the novel was you were reading. Sorry.
For us at AETHYX MEDIAE, this idea proposed by the Center on Privacy and Technology sounds like a no-brainer. However we are not free of bias as we have roots and work in this professional field since over two decades now. We’re sad that news agencies and journalists are not capable to reduce the damage before it reaches their readers. As it is in their responsibility to do their own research before making an article popular and publishing it to thousands of concurrent readers. As such, the warning and the proposal comes to late for us. For the year 2022 as well as for millions of people on this planet. Plus, we were also not safe sometimes to use misleading technology terminology. We need and want to apologise for that. And promise to change it for the better where we see fit.
Be proud to be human! Have no fear of IT! Keep thinking! As in the end, it’s just another field where people need to pay their rents from.
All the best,
the aethyx staff
Dear readers and customers,
currently, due to an “unusual” high inflation in the eurozone, we need to increase prices for all our products. Sry!
All of our services (except our merchandise) will now be minimum 10% more expensive than in the past.
We’re sorry for any inconvenience but the current situation didn’t leave us any other choice.
We’re not sure if this is the end, too. Could be this is only the first round of increases. Let’s see how the current political world situation as well as the pandemic develops.
We hope for the best, still!
Thank you for using our products! Rock on and stay indie!
Take care and best wishes,
the aethyx staff
Dear readers and customers,
for the second time in our 12 year company history I speak to you here directly as CEO. The last time only two years ago because of the still ongoing pandemic. The necessities of our current times leave me no other choice. At the moment, I don’t really know how we should do here “business as usual”.
Currently, there’s a war going on in Europe. It’s now day 9 of this war.
It’s an unfair war, it’s a war built up on lies. That’s the case with any war, throughout human history. We don’t support wars, we never did, never will.
In fact, I’m a member of the German Peace Society. I feel it as my duty to at least inform you about this and provide some help. So please watch the video above carefully and if you want to help I want to provide some links and information today which might come in handy in case you want to join the help.
If you are in the war zone, actions you can take in case of explosion and about clean water:
- lie on the ground and cover your head with your hands
- use available shelter
- help the wounded
- do not enter damaged buildings
In the absence of water supply:
- take drinking water from pumping stations, wells, mine wells, drinking water bottling points
- for drinking and cooking – boil for at least 10 minutes
- store water in closed containers
- water from open reservoirs – only for technical purposes
That’s what’s currently distributed through Ukrainian mobile networks. Please also update yourself from time to time through reliable English news sources if possible, like BBC, Guardian UK or CNN, to get news about safe corridors.
If you are in Europe or elsewhere, actions you might take from here:
- organise trips to Polish, Slovakian and Romanian borders. Help the refugees there. What they need the most at the moment: food, clothing, medicine. Bring what you can
- additionally to personal trips, organise these transports in your neighbourhood. In Germany there exist networks, like https://nebenan.de/feed/ukraine-help. You can collect cartons here and plan better
- offer your flat/apartment/house for refugees: https://elinor.network/gastfreundschaft-ukraine/
- donate money to UNICEF to help Ukrainian children and families: https://unicef.de/spenden/ing-nothilfe-ukraine/. German link, bank from the Netherlands. UNICEF offers agencies worldwide
- resources for refugees from Ukraine and supporters (important, updated, no guarantee about updates and manipulations as its an open document): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OlZIz-72A2xI2uUOFE07L5ObQGP4JDcXZ2vdIs2P9BQ/mobilebasic
- updates about status in Eastern Europe: https://mobile.twitter.com/i/lists/1218335925958213633 (Twitter feed, German version. There may exist feeds in other languages)
- contact https://uaks.de/ (German) to offer your help. There exist Ukrainian culture or other associations in your neighbourhood too. You might not know them yet, google them
- join demos and peace gatherings. Check if your city offers them already: https://friedenskooperative.de/ukraine-krise-alle-infos. (German version, there exist overviews for your country too, google them)
With our strength and knowledge combined, maybe we have a chance to prevent the worst. For Ukraine, as well as for the rest of the world.
Be brave and strong,
may peace eventually prevail,
CEO & Founder
[Update I, 03/14/22]
Added the latest hint about water from the Ukrainian mobile networks; removed the Anonymous hint as our local Chaos Computer Club added that supporting black and/or grey hat hacking is simply too dangerous.